Stormy Weather

caroljane

Very erotic movie for it's time...1958...

Carol,

I'm glad you started this thread. I was just now going to start one.

I hope all OL members and readers in the path of this hurricane do not get harmed. (The rest of the affected population, too, but especially you here in our corner of the universe.)

Kat and I worry about you.

I'm sure others around here do, too.

So check in and let us know how you are doing as this nasty thing develops.

Stay safe.

There are people who care about you.

Michael

Thanks M&K. Here in Toronto we are on the path but not expected to get hit anything like as bad as NJ (Adam and Baal) - anyway I take the MSM meteorologists with a grain of salt! My poor roof in my New Brunswick hometown on the Bay of Fundy is what I fear for, and the lower-lying houses of my relatives and friends.

Doesn't Ellen S. live in Connecticut? Hope she & her house are OK.

I do live in Connecticut -- Bloomfield, just north of Hartford.

We're ok. Only light tree damage, no major branches. The new roof which we had to get due to last October 29's Nor'easter came through unscathed. And we didn't lose power, except for about 30 seconds the 29th, though parts of Bloomfield lost power and are still out.

The storm was much more severe elsewhere than here. The main thrust went to the south of us.

I hope anyone who was in its path is ok.

I'm worried about Chris Sciabarra, who lives in Brooklyn, New York. I sent him a note inquiring, but haven't heard from him yet.

Ellen

Thanks, Carol. I hope you and your house have come through ok.

I just heard from Chris Sciabarra. He and his house are unscathed, but places not far from where he lives had bad damage -- and some friends of his in other parts of NYC had horrific damage.

Ellen

Ellen,

I don't know whether you have ever had the pleasure of seeing the musical 1776. My wife and I have seen it several times over the years usually in summer stock productions and each one has been unique and enjoyable.

We have been looking forward to seeing a production scheduled to be near Hartford, actually in Manchester at the Little Theatre of Manchester at Cheney Hall for several months now. Just thought I'd make you aware of it in case you have any interest.

http://www.cheneyhall.org/

Enjoy.

William,

Thanks for the heads-up about 1776. We don't have time to see it either this week or next, other things scheduled, but maybe we could go the last weekend. I've never seen it. I think that Larry has, but he isn't home at the moment to be asked if he has. I hope that you and your wife have a fun evening attending and that you like the performance.

Ellen

Folks:

We lost power completely at about 9:00 PM Monday night...the tree crashed into the house at about 9:30 and it has been quite an interesting week...

We just got our lights back at about 5:50 PM tonight...

Thankfully, we were well prepared. We have a generator and were able to take in some of our neighbors. We also have a functioning fireplace which provided us with our basic heat needs. Gas hot water so we were able to shower.

What we were not prepared for was the cell towers being completely gone which basically placed us in a technological dead zone.

Additionally, with the incredible wind damage,tree damage and fires in town,and, no traffic lights. We decided to hunker down until we could restore power.

At any rate, house survived and none of us were injured.

We were able to serve the police officers hot chocolate, as they were standing on the corner to keep peace on the gas lines for the local gas station. Now in the old days, it would have been hot toddies [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_toddy].

Anyone heard from Bob? Or Peter Taylor, Maryland?

Glad to have come through this wall of a storm...

Adam

Thanks...it got interesting for a day or so...lol

Adam,

Glad to hear you came through more or less OK.

There are those around here who like you a lot. (Count Kat and me among them.)

Michael

EDIT: I don't mean to snub anyone here. So if I or Kat don't say anything, that's not because we don't think about you. We are very concerned. I'm even glad Ellen came through OK. It sounds funny to say it like that, but it's true and from the heart. Be well, Ellen.

Thank you very much Kat and Michael. Hopefully, I will never have to be concerned about the safety of either of you, or, your families..

This week has been extremely instructive. We were prepared for it, for different reasons. However, we were, sadly exposed to how ill fitted young people are to survive in an emergency situation.

We had a young "man" who had been well educated and a young lady, whose mother is a teacher in Newark, and is studying to take the Principal's exam, not because she wants to be an educational leader, but for the salary.

The stunning confirmation of what I have been observing about young folks, who are not home schooled, is their totally incapacity to critically think, to problem solve, to reason from a series of observable data and a frightening inability to function without their "devices."

More at a later date as I think these observations through.

Adam

We had little damage – just one toppled apple tree that has never produced much and is in the way when I cut grass with my riding mower.

My mother in law stayed with us. Her house is on the water but suffered no significant damage though the water made it up to the bottom of her water pump. After it calmed down she had a huge child’s plastic playhouse in her front yard and a hundred pound wooden house ornament in her driveway. It traveled about 50 yards through the air.

22 are dead in Staten Island. Incredible. Mayor Doomburg is an idiot for wanting to continue with the marathon when people have no heat and are still living in the dark.

Peter

We had little damage – just one toppled apple tree that has never produced much and is in the way when I cut grass with my riding mower.

My mother in law stayed with us. Her house is on the water but suffered no significant damage though the water made it up to the bottom of her water pump. After it calmed down she had a huge child’s plastic playhouse in her front yard and a hundred pound wooden house ornament in her driveway. It traveled about 50 yards through the air.

22 are dead in Staten Island. Incredible. Mayor Doomburg is an idiot for wanting to continue with the marathon when people have no heat and are still living in the dark.

Peter

Glad to see you survived Peter now you have to endure a repressive State government ...seems like there are absolutely no contested Congressional races - in fact one District is running a write-in!

Wow...I admire your courage...you should move to Manhattan! lol

My mother in law stayed with us.

Peter,

Mother in law?

Oh, Lord...

Will the tragedies from this storm never end?

:smile:

(Just joking...)

Michael

lol. On this one point you should try to summon up a little compassion for Obama - four years he's had of it - at least if he loses he will only be outnumbered 3 to 1 again in the household.I get the impression that Mrs R is a very strong character.

I'm even glad Ellen came through OK. It sounds funny to say it like that, but it's true and from the heart. Be well, Ellen.

Thanks, Michael.

Speaking of people with whom one isn't on the most cordial of terms but who one nonetheless hopes came through the storm OK, was Robert Campbell's area on the path? I notice that Robert was online "Today [11/3], 09:02 AM," but he hasn't posted since October 26th. There could be many other reasons besides storm-related reasons why he hasn't been active during the last week. In case the silence has been because of the storm, I hope that he and/or persons dear to him haven't suffered any serious damage.

Are all other regular posters who might have been affected now present and accounted for? (I saw that Bob K. has posted on a different thread.)

Adam, how big a tree fell on your house? How much damage?

You mention (post #16) young folks' "frightening inability to function without their 'devices.'"

That's something I noticed also during the week after the Nor'easter of last October 29, when much of our area was without power for 6 to 12 days and a number of the cell towers were out too. Many of the kids hadn't a clue how to cope -- and yet they're likely to be among the ones agitating for "sustainable energy" and "saving the planet," etc. I did hope that maybe that storm might at least have had the good result of giving those kids an object lesson in the benefits of electricity. :smile:

Ellen

Adam, how big a tree fell on your house? How much damage?

You mention (post #16) young folks' "frightening inability to function without their 'devices.'"

That's something I noticed also during the week after the Nor'easter of last October 29, when much of our area was without power for 6 to 12 days and a number of the cell towers were out too. Many of the kids hadn't a clue how to cope -- and yet they're likely to be among the ones agitating for "sustainable energy" and "saving the planet," etc. I did hope that maybe that storm might at least have had the good result of giving those kids an object lesson in the benefits of electricity. :smile:

Ellen

Ellen:

It was a Sycamore eighty + feet...a typical curbside city planting tree. I have not been able to confirm this yet, however, we were told by the town tree "expert" that you cannot burn the wood in the fireplace, as it is "toxic."

Adjuster will be out here on Monday. Probably about eight to ten thousand dollars in damage, Thankfully it did not penetrate the structure. It did damage the chimney to the fireplace. However, we were able to employ it as our main heating resource until we received our power back yesterday.

As to the young folks, I completely agree.

Adam

It was a Sycamore eighty + feet...a typical curbside city planting tree. I have not been able to confirm this yet, however, we were told by the town tree "expert" that you cannot burn the wood in the fireplace, as it is "toxic."

I don't know about "toxic" precisely, but Sycamore wood is high in water content, which is why the wood is both heavy and soft. It would make a choke-producing sort of smoke.

We have a large Sycamore, about that same height, to the back of the house, too close to the house. A huge branch from that came down in the Nor'easter, plus many smaller but heavy branches. None hit the house though, the wind being from the front right. It was branches from the oaks in the front that caused our roof damage -- as with yours, the structure wasn't penetrated, but the top layer had to be redone.

Not a good time, but it sinks to a picnic compared to what's happening in parts of NYC. I keep thinking of the damage on Staten Island, and in the Rockaways, and the photos I saw of Coney Island. I lived within walking distance of Coney Island (Brighton Beach area) during eight of the twelve years I lived either in or in the vicinity of NYC.

Ellen

I looked on Google for answers to the question "Is Sycamore smoke toxic?"

Conflicting answers:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_sycamore_good_fireplace_wood

Is a sycamore good fireplace wood?

Answer:

It burns well, but should be allowed to dry at least 12 months before burning, it is VERY heavy, and a real pain to split. A powered log splitter will split it, a splitting maul will be a LOT of work. It does burn quite hot, pleasant odor.

http://www.wildsurvive.com/outdoor-camping-forum/index.php?topic=1411.0

I have no knowledge of wood its self being poisonous but poision ivy or oak can grow as a vine on the wood and the smoke can carry the poision. (Reply #2)

[my emphasis]

There are several specific North American species that should be avoided at all cost: Laburnum (very toxic), Elm, Eucalyptus, Sycamore, Oleander, Poison Oak (extremely toxic), Poison Sumac, Poison Ivy, China berry/mahogany, Osage orange, teak, madrone, buckeye; any wood that may be moldy or fungi covered, woods treated with varnishes, paints or stains, creosote, preservatives or other chemical. Also, avoid any wood that has been used for pallets, construction, or fishing/farming operations. (Reply #8)

I recommend: If in doubt, don't. :smile:

Just in case anyone reading the thread doesn't know this, inhaled smoke from the burning of poison plants such as poison ivy and poison oak definitely can be seriously damaging to the lungs, including causing a painful death.

Ellen