Atlas Shrugged - The Movie launches website!

Selene

As fans eagerly await the opening, Atlas Shrugged launches big by counting down the seconds.

Los Angeles, CA (Vocus/PRWEB) February 01, 2011

The Strike Productions announced today the release of its Official Atlas Shrugged Movie Web Site - http://www.AtlasShruggedPart1.com. The web site, and accompanying mobile web application, were designed and developed by Scott J. DeSapio - an objectivist and long time admirer of Ayn Rand who has been brought on as the head of the online marketing efforts for the movie.

http://news.yahoo.co...AMxMjk2NjcwMzgw

Visit the Official <a href="http://www.AtlasShruggedPart1.com">Atlas Shrugged Movie</a> Web Site!

Link to the Official Atlas Shrugged Movie Web Site ^^^^

Nice website - this is a great way to advance the movement, or maybe even start one!

Edited by Selene

product_lapel_pin.gif

Exclusive Limited Edition Official Atlas Shrugged Lapel Pin

$14.95

Let's hope the publicity and marketing campaign guys are not "amateurs" and instead this is not their "first rodeo", but have a lot of experience getting attention for a movie and were not chosen just because they admire Rand or Atlas.

It's an uphill struggle, even with a popular and timely novel, without a big studio's muscle and big stars behind it.

So far, one big plus: Freedomworks and CPAC. And one big minus: I've not seen anything else - undeveloped website, no cast interviews, videos, contests and quizzes...all the stuff you'd like to see well in advance.

And what -is- the marketing plan???

> Is this getting a wide release or just hitting the festival circuit?

It's "limited release". Only a handful of cities. Whether that expands nationwide depends on whether the movie does well for a few weeks in those cities.

Phil:

Have you gone to the website and joined?

Adam

What do people think of the new 'official movie poster' that was designed by the marketing guy at the movie's website?

What do people think of the new 'official movie poster' that was designed by the marketing guy at the movie's website?

So you did join...good.

‘World premiere’ of Atlas Shrugged movie trailer planned for CPAC

Steven Nelson - The Daily Caller Steven Nelson - The Daily Caller Fri Feb 4, 6:24 pm ET FreedomWorks will host a premier of the trailer for the film adaption of Atlas Shrugged at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

Since the novel by Ayn Rand was published in 1957, efforts to produce a film version have been attempted. All failed due to a variety of legal and editorial disputes.

Protagonist Dagny Taggart will be played by actress Taylor Schilling, who previously was the lead character in NBC medical drama Mercy.

Atlas Shrugged has been highly influential within conservative and libertarian circles for its support of laissez-faire economics.

The film’s website calls the book a warning of implications to society when “individual achievement is undervalued, suppressed and demonized.”

The premier will be held on February 11. The film, which features one-third of the book, will be released in theaters on April 15.

I wonder what kind of moral pressure is being brought to bear on Noodlefooders etc to independently decide not to buy tickets and thereby not sanction Evil Open Objectivism.

Hsieh has already given her thumbs down on the movie:

"From what I've read, the movie seems to be a low-budget, haphazard rush. That means that it's sure to suck worse than I'd imagined. But perhaps, unlike a Hollywood blockbuster, they'll stick closer to the novel. I'm not hopeful, and I fear the movie could do more harm than good in terms of spreading Ayn Rand's ideas in the culture."

Anyway, Carol, Noodlefoodler are much more interested in crucial 'living objectivism' questions, such as the screamingly funny 'morality of bread' question:

'Question 6: From Objectivist Answers: The Morality of Eating Bread: Since eating wheat is purported to be unhealthy due to gluten (and other stuff), is it immoral to eat bread? (Analogous to smoking being purportedly bad for you.) Since one has to eat something, it might be better to ask, “Is eating bread immoral when other food sources are available?”'

I do expect that Diana will answer this question with a 'no, it's not immoral to eat bread,' even though she is currently the ObjectiPaleo high priestess.

I had thought the OO.net folks were the most interested in wee, vexing questions, but it appears the Nooodlefood claque, or a portion of them, have adopted the Paleo diet as an article of faith, and thus need help in navigating its strictures.

Edited by william.scherk

I have a prediction: this movie will be this decade's Blair Witch Project, a low budget film that will grow in success mainly by word of mouth. Unlike BWP, this movie has a built in fan base, if we are to believe the sales figure for Atlas Shrugged each year. I say this knowing little about the execution of the book's themes, of course, but my impression of the actress playing Dagny Taggert is that she is a spot on choice for that role. If people respond to her at the movies the way readers respond to her on the page, the movie is going to be huge.

I wonder what kind of moral pressure is being brought to bear on Noodlefooders etc to independently decide not to buy tickets and thereby not sanction Evil Open Objectivism.

Hsieh has already given her thumbs down on the movie:

"From what I've read, the movie seems to be a low-budget, haphazard rush. That means that it's sure to suck worse than I'd imagined. But perhaps, unlike a Hollywood blockbuster, they'll stick closer to the novel. I'm not hopeful, and I fear the movie could do more harm than good in terms of spreading Ayn Rand's ideas in the culture."

Anyway, Carol, Noodlefoodler are much more interested in crucial 'living objectivism' questions, such as the screamingly funny 'morality of bread' question:

'Question 6: From Objectivist Answers: The Morality of Eating Bread: Since eating wheat is purported to be unhealthy due to gluten (and other stuff), is it immoral to eat bread? (Analogous to smoking being purportedly bad for you.) Since one has to eat something, it might be better to ask, “Is eating bread immoral when other food sources are available?”'

I do expect that Diana will answer this question with a 'no, it's not immoral to eat bread,' even though she is currently the ObjectiPaleo high priestess.

I had thought the OO.net folks were the most interested in wee, vexing questions, but it appears the Nooodlefood claque, or a portion of them, have adopted the Paleo diet as an article of faith, and thus need help in navigating its strictures.

This is too lol coincidental.

In my ESL academic writing class this morning, we were doing an anthropology article on gender roles in caveman times, and going offtopic as we often do, I explained the North American wonders of vegan, carnivorous

etc diets, and told them about the Paleo diet! The ensuing conversation was amaziing fun.

Btw I have one Syrian student, a merry engineer who wants to mention during every discussion on every topic, that we are all genetically identical and descended from a common ancestor with apes. His signature phrase is "my uncle is a monkey."He also vigorously espouses atheism, to the polite consternation of his classmates, one of whom was a Professor of Theology in a Turkish university. He asked me once what are the Pillars of Christianity that correspond to the 5 pillars of Islam. It took me until next day to remember the answer! Despite all my Sunday School prizes.

What an oppo that class would have been for a Practical Objectivist.

I have a prediction: this movie will be this decade's Blair Witch Project, a low budget film that will grow in success mainly by word of mouth. Unlike BWP, this movie has a built in fan base, if we are to believe the sales figure for Atlas Shrugged each year. I say this knowing little about the execution of the book's themes, of course, but my impression of the actress playing Dagny Taggert is that she is a spot on choice for that role. If people respond to her at the movies the way readers respond to her on the page, the movie is going to be huge.

Correct.

In the last three weeks alone, I have encountered over twenty five (25) individuals who have noticed the book I was carrying which is Heller's book on Rand. Almost seventeen (17) of the folks had read one (1) or more of Ayn's fiction works.

I, along with my "regular pitch" about her ideas have added the fact that the movie is finally coming out and that it will be released on April 15th which, as I am wont to note, a perfect date for a philosophy that extols individualism, capitalism and limited government.

I have not gotten one single reaction of the person being upset. Quite the contrary, almost all of them have given me their e-mail or phone number or both and asked me to inform them of where in NJ, NY or Pennsylvania they would be able to see it.

Of the folks who had not read Ayn, I made my usual deal with many of them which is that I would buy them a copy of Atlas Shrugged and that they would agree to read to at least page two hundred (200) in the book, and, if they loved it as much as I knew that they would, then they would buy two (2) copies and do the same with their friend, relative etc.

All of those folks were really happy to hear that the film was coming out and they are looking forward to seeing it even without reading the book.

So, I guess, it is the old Pogo cartoon in the Objectivist movement that is most true...

"We have met the enemy... and he is us"

Wehavemet01.jpg

Adam

In the last three weeks alone, I have encountered over twenty five (25) individuals who have noticed the book I was carrying which is Heller's book on Rand. Almost seventeen (17) of the folks had read one (1) or more of Ayn's fiction works.

What is "almost seventeen" in this context? Sixteen? (Since we're speaking of human individuals, I assume it's not something like 16.63.)

JR

What is "almost seventeen" in this context? Sixteen? (Since we're speaking of human individuals, I assume it's not something like 16.63.)

JR

Jeff:

Lol. Yes, it refers to seventeen (17) individual humans out of the twenty-five (25) individual humans.

Adam

JR

Jeff:

Lol. Yes, it refers to seventeen (17) individual humans out of the twenty-five (25) individual humans.

Adam

I would give Saidi my Syrian your email, except I would be picked up by CSIS and sent to the gulag. It's the suburb of Hamilton where Lady Black was kept chained to the furnace in the basement. I'm too ascairt to take the risk!

Though on reflection, if it was a choice of Conrad or the furnace, I'd take the furnace.

Edited by daunce lynam

JR

Jeff:

Adam

I would give Saidi my Syrian your email, except I would be picked up by CSIS and sent to the gulag. It's the suburb of Hamilton where Lady Black was kept chained to the furnace in the basement. I'm too ascairt to take the risk!

Though on reflection, if it was a choice of Conrad or the furnace, I'd take the furnace.

Carol:

Hell, being chained to a furnace is considered a fun night in NY City's BDSM culture!

It combines bondage with fire play, a two fer!

Adam

Post Script: Is this where the bondage took place...

220px-Entrance_CCTK_Hamilton.jpg Christ the King Cathedral

The Freedomworks + CPAC showing of the movie trailer would be a very big deal if they hadn't effing MISLABELED the event in their printed schedule -->

"4:00 Is Atlas Shrugging … The Cultural Impact of the Tea Party – McKinley Room

Sponsored by FreedomWorks (1 hour)

Speakers: TBD

Open to all CPAC attendees"

Do you see any reference to a movie trailer there?????

If you know Atlas had a movie trailer to be shown, wouldn't you be likely to attend.

BTW, CPAC is only slightly bigger [sarcasm alert] than an Oist summer conference: It has ten thousand attendees.

> Of the folks who had not read Ayn, I made my usual deal with many of them which is that I would buy them a copy of Atlas Shrugged and that they would agree to read to at least page two hundred (200) in the book, and, if they loved it as much as I knew that they would, then they would buy two (2) copies and do the same with their friend, relative etc.

Very clever idea!! (I knew you had some smarts in you, Adam.)

> Of the folks who had not read Ayn, I made my usual deal with many of them which is that I would buy them a copy of Atlas Shrugged and that they would agree to read to at least page two hundred (200) in the book, and, if they loved it as much as I knew that they would, then they would buy two (2) copies and do the same with their friend, relative etc.

Very clever idea!! (I knew you had some smarts in you, Adam.)

Phil:

Thank you. I have employed that method with folks since about 1968.

Also, you can cut and paste this icon and use it instead of [sarcasm alert] it is much more clever in the internet communication age:

sarcasm.gif

Adam

From what I've read, the movie seems to be a low-budget, haphazard rush. That means that it's sure to suck worse than I'd imagined. -Hsieh

I'm surprised she didn't say it blows donkey dong. More her style.

Edited by Ted Keer

From what I've read, the movie seems to be a low-budget, haphazard rush. That means that it's sure to suck worse than I'd imagined. -Hsieh

I surprised she didn't say it blows donkey dong. More her style.

Already this degenerate movie is shredding the moral fabric of rational society!

> Also, you can cut and paste this icon and use it instead of [sarcasm alert]

Adam, I wasn't being sarcastic. I do think yours is a very good idea because it has more of a 'hits to misses' ratio than simply handing out copies of Atlas at random and having many of them go unread. And because they then commit to passing it along, although that may be less likely than them reading 200 pages:

200 pages is a good number because it gives them time enough for the story to 'hook' them. Many people feel the book starts slow for them, or maybe they are just not used to long novels.

I'm surprised she didn't say it blows donkey dong. More her style.

Well, what do you ~expect~ Comrade Sonia to say about something her pals have no control over??

Personally, I'm very excited about the forthcoming release of Atlas (on Income Tax Day!), and I think that it could very well be ~much~ better than some people fear or hope (you know who you are!).

I read a good bit of the script last summer, and if it "watches" half as good as it "reads," it will be a very good, updated rendering of Rand's tale.

REB