World's Most Livable Cities - the Economist Rankings

caroljane

The Economist has named seven Canadian and Australian cities among its Top Ten in its most recent rankings.

Vancouver, BC, rated first in the aftermath of the successful Winter Olympics. Canada's bestlargest city Toronto sits fourth between Vienna and Calgary (Calgary?), seething in bitter petty jealousy.

Vancouverites credit their popularity to its leading citizen and tourist attraction, Mr. William S. Scherk, but he modestly rejects such praise.

"All I did was invite some of my friends to come to the Olympics," he says. "Vancouver's totally superior especially to Toronto awesomeness did the rest."

Torontonians see things differently.

"My cousin went out there last year and he said it was just awful," says Mrs. E. Pippington, as she scrubs the steps of her Youth Hostel and Boarding House. "There was drug addicts and sex people all over the sidewalks.

"If people don't want to live in Toronto that's their loss. We don't want them anyway. That's the trouble with the world today, too many foreigners."

Mrs. Pippington plans to vacation this year but will not go to Vancouver.

"I'm going to visit the beautiful state of New Hampshire. Or maybe Wisconsin or Missouri. Somewhere with nice people and no taxes and our dollar is at par with their dollar and if you want to shoot a gun you can shoot it."

Elsewhere, Viennese and runnerup Melbournians alike burst into cheerful song celebrating their quality of life, with "Wien, Wien," and "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" reverberating through the urban air.

Edited by daunce lynam

Encore une fois on oublie la cite la plus merveilleuse du monde!

Scerhk le Diable est le Hugh John Fleming d'aujourd'hui. Bah!

D. Savoie, Ph.D.

Anglocologie et Superiorite Acadienne

Moncton, N.B.

nous nous souvenons

Edited by daunce lynam

Is not number one bad here! I eat most times, mother and sisters other times.

I have cousin in fine American city Kapuskasing. Kind smart Objective people help find? I like Rand money very much.

David Chelsusu

Harare, Zimbabwe

Is not number one bad here! I eat most times, mother and sisters other times.

I have cousin in fine American city Kapuskasing. Kind smart Objective people help find? I like Rand money very much.

David Chelsusu

Harare, Zimbabwe

Dear Mr. Chel

isusu,

If your cousins are Cecil and Norbert Chelsusu, they are not in Kapuskasing now, they are in my boarding house and I cannot get them out because of government interference and they owe me $287.60 for damage to my property and noise nuisance.

Kapuskasing is in Canada not America, don't they teach you anything over there?

I enclose my bill with itemization of the damages and expect payment within ten business days. This is common decent practice in civilized countries as your cousins do not seem to understand.

I await your early reply.

E. Pippington (Mrs.)