Th John Galt Theme

"The John Galt Theme"

This music just came out today on the official movie website. I was pleasantly surprised at a certain peaceful serene beauty of the thing. I would have expected something with the pulse-racing pace of the music of the trailer. But this works and suggests that there will be more than one mood in the film.

It's the latter part of the evening as I type this, and it fits end of day, when the work is done and one relaxes and reflects.

It's not the Concerto of Deliverance, but there's a, I don't know what to call it, calm joyfulness about it. And I don't recall when or if I've heard something exactly like it.

I'm not good with words to describe music, but the elegant simplicity of it also works. I think I will go back now, and listen to it again...

Edited by Philip Coates

"The John Galt Theme"

This music just came out today on the official movie website. I was pleasantly surprised at a certain peaceful serene beauty of the thing. I would have expected something with the pulse-racing pace of the music of the trailer. But this works and suggests that there will be more than one mood in the film.

It's the latter part of the evening as I type this, and it fits end of day, when the work is done and one relaxes and reflects.

It's not the Concerto of Deliverance, but there's a, I don't know what to call it, calm joyfulness about it. And I don't recall when or if I've heard something exactly like it.

I'm not good with words to describe music, but the elegant simplicity of it also works. I think I will go back now, and listen to it again...

Really? :unsure: You don't recall when or if you have heard something like it? :P

Dagny remembers, pages 13-14 (clothbound edition), pages 20-21 (Signet paperback) :blush::D B)

"The John Galt Theme"

Really? :unsure: You don't recall when or if you have heard something like it? :P

Dagny remembers, pages 13-14 (clothbound edition), pages 20-21 (Signet paperback) :blush::D B)

"...it was a clear, complex melody---at a time when no one wrote melody any longer..." one of my favorite scenes! The John Galt Theme

Damn that was good. A little slow, but powerful. Dagny is exceptionally hot. Hank's casting looks perfect to my senses.

Edited by Selene

Sounds too contemplative to me, I'd expect something more stirring. Depends on how it's being used, I suppose. Anyway, here's a little reminder of the music Rand had in mind. The theme's in the public domain, they ought to use it, I say.

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7631&view=findpost&p=79235

I just listened to the "John Galt Theme" again. Everything I said in the first post.

And even more so the second time around.

One thing I'd bet is that this will become part of popular awareness. It will grow on people and become tremendously popular.

The place I can see this being played is when Dagny awakes in the valley. It conveys "we never had to take any of this seriously, did we?"

This is the peace and serenity that music conveys. If you sit back and open yourself to having that feeling:

"This was the world as she had expected to see it at sixteen -- and now she had reached it -- and it seemed so simple, so unastonishing, that the thing she felt was like a blessing pronounced upon the universe by means of three words: But of course...

" This was her world, she thought, this was the way men were meant to be and to face their existence -- and all the rest of it, all the years of ugliness and struggle were only someone's senseless joke. She smiled at him, as at a fellow conspirator, in relief, in deliverance..."

Some less than thoughtful comments have been made that this doesn't have the 'lift' and 'rising' of the Concerto of Deliverance...as if that were the only piece of music or the only mood that would be in the movie.

Who wrote this?

Edited by Philip Coates

I always though the song had a violent, triumphant sound.

I literally have no way to troll this, there are so many options.

Like the sound of hard long shafts of granite pounding against soft, yielding and submissive ground?

Like Wagner's Lost Symphony?

Like something me and my friends really, really want to ... march to?

Phil, concerning #1 and #6, thanks. I think you are correct.

Some of the more elaborate verbiage at the film site on this music seems disingenuous.

Myopic pretzel within pretzel, weaving round and round, good sense aside, repeating and repeating so as to dominate space with the advertisement:

this film must be disowned by genuine Objectivists as untrue to Rand, her novel, her philosophy.

"Nobler purposes we have I'm sure." –Nozick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS

The usual little viciousness resumes in the next post #11.

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

this film must be disowned by genuine Objectivists as untrue to Rand, her novel, her philosophy.

"Nobler purposes we have I'm sure." –Nozick

Arrrghhh! Smarrrrt as paint, ye arrrre.

The most intelligent poster in this Forum agrees with me.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

>>>>>>>I just listened to the "John Galt Theme" again.[bFLG]

>>>>>>>Who wrote this?[bFLG]

One step solutions for vexing information quests

--->>>> OR

LookItUpIdiot.png

Daunce [Carol] emailed me and asked me to post this for her [she's frozen out of OL] ==>

Phil, on the music, please pass along that I think the John Galt theme is beautiful (and it reminds me of Jonathan's piano music that he posted in Art) and wss's video was amazing.

And John Agliaro has been spending too much time hanging out with Charlie Sheen.

Daunce [Carol] emailed me and asked me to post this for her [she's frozen out of OL] ==>

Phil, on the music, please pass along that I think the John Galt theme is beautiful (and it reminds me of Jonathan's piano music that he posted in Art) and wss's video was amazing.

And John Agliaro has been spending too much time hanging out with Charlie Sheen.

Phil:

Why and how could Carol be "frozen out of OL?" Yet, apparently, still able to read the threads and listen to the videos.

Adam

Don't know...reply on the thread about "Daunce Can't get On"...(maybe it's posting rather than reading, maybe someone told her, maybe she used a school or library or neighbor's computer - who knows?)

Edited by Philip Coates