AS Movie causes Immediate Culture Change

caroljane

The very week after the epochal opening of "Atlas Shrugged, Part 1", Canada has opened a Foxlike, conservative TV network called Sun Media which will present "hard news" and opinion from an individualistic, libertarian standpoint. Fans of Mark Steyn, Ezra Levant, and Lord and Lady Black will get a fair shake for once, and be able to watch Canadian Rush Limbaughs instead of just listen to them.

This occurs shortly after Glenn Beck has parted ways with Fox - a coincidence? Or a serendipitous sign of Things to Come? Our dollar's at par, Glenn!

The very week after the epochal opening of "Atlas Shrugged, Part 1", Canada has opened a Foxlike, conservative TV network called Sun Media which will present "hard news" and opinion from an individualistic, libertarian standpoint. Fans of Mark Steyn, Ezra Levant, and Lord and Lady Black will get a fair shake for once, and be able to watch Canadian Rush Limbaughs instead of just listen to them.

This occurs shortly after Glenn Beck has parted ways with Fox - a coincidence? Or a serendipitous sign of Things to Come? Our dollar's at par, Glenn!

There must be some mistake here, Daunce. There's nothing "individualistic" or "libertarian" about either Faux "News" or anything or anyone that is "conservative" - except, of course, in the tragically feverish imaginations of those who believe in the face of all evidence that they're going to see a free society (or even a significantly freer society) in their lifetimes. Please, don't feed their mind-ravaging fever, I beg of you!

Concernedly,

JR

There must be some mistake here, Daunce. There's nothing "individualistic" or "libertarian" about either Faux "News" or anything or anyone that is "conservative" - except, of course, in the tragically feverish imaginations of those who believe in the face of all evidence that they're going to see a free society (or even a significantly freer society) in their lifetimes. Please, don't feed their mind-ravaging fever, I beg of you!

Concernedly,

JR

Thanks Jeff, I'll try to calm down. How can I tell anyway.

I only know what I read in the papers.

Gratefully,

Carol

Edited by daunce lynam

Carol, Jeff -- please forgive me for adding some dreary background material:

Sun Media is the largest media corporation in Canada. It is a fully-owned subsidiary of Quebecor, and so controls several regional and national phone, cable & internet services, other communications entities, along with tabloid newspapers (in French and in English --see the list of outlets below). The new cable channel may be the jewel in the crown of holdings by the man at the head of this concern, Pierre Karl Peladeau. I am sure this kind of conglomerate has a US counterpart, but I am not really familiar with the American scene.

Calgary Sun

Edmonton Sun

Ottawa Sun

Toronto Sun

Winnipeg Sun

Le Journal de Montréal

Le Journal de Québec

Le Journal de Sherbrooke

24 Hours / 24 Heures

Barrie Examiner

Brockville Recorder and Times

Crowsnest Pass Promoter (Crowsnest Pass, Alberta)

Fort McMurray Today

The Daily Herald Tribune (Grande Prairie, Alberta)

Daily Miner and News (Kenora, Ontario)

London Free Press

Ontario Farmer

The Daily Graphic (Portage La Prairie, Manitoba)

The Delhi News-Record

Shoreline Beacon (Saugeen Shores, Ontario)

Simcoe Reformer (Norfolk County, Ontario)

The Beacon Herald

St. Thomas Times-Journal

Woodstock Sentinel-Review

Sherwood Park • Strathcona County News

The Peterborough Examiner

Sault Star (Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario)

Sudbury Star (Sudbury, Ontario)

The Stonewall Argus & Teulon Times

Timmins Daily Press

Timmins Times

Cornwall Standard Freeholder

Dunnville Chronicle

Timmins Times

Dunnville Chronicle

Sounds like a veritable media empire. I'm breathlessly waiting for my subscriptions to start up.

Timmins Times

Dunnville Chronicle

Sounds like a veritable media empire. I'm breathlessly waiting for my subscriptions to start up.

Scoff away Phil, it was by buying up such inconsequential publications as these, and firing most of the people who worked there, plus pretending to sell the no-longer-viable-publications to himself,that your recent cohabitant LOrd Black ended up in Coleman Prison.

Carol

Great Man Theory Skeptic

Sounds like a veritable media empire.

I agree -- and good point, Phil. Besides its national holdings in markets large and small in the newspaper business, as I noted briefly above, Quebecor also owns companies involved in telecommunications, cablevision, internet services, etcetera. It surprised me to find out that Quebecor is the largest commercial printer in the world, and a major player in the magazine industry. It also owns television production and distribution facilities, including the most popular French channels, and has an integrated internet presence for all its national news holdings via canoe.ca -- as well as a large Blockbuster-like chain of video/DVD stores. Recently it has poured money into the area they call 'interactive television,' operating services that merge its video-on-demand services with its other media and communications holdings.

As for its papers in Timmins and other smaller markets that you noted, I am reminded of something you wrote on one of the Atlas Shrugged threads here, wherein you pointed out the need for movie distributors to pay attention to smaller markets. I thought that was quite perceptive of you -- you noted in that post the notion of 'cultural blockade,' and mentioned the value of 'little papers . . . in secondary cities.'

As Carol's note of the new national (English) 24 hours news channel mentioned, Sunmedia TV has garnered a few personalities who represent a more 'right-wing,' free-market, minarchist angle than other news outlets, such as Ezra Levant (whom you may not be familiar with).

Carol, it could be that Phil is not 'scoffing,' but being a bit puckish. As his notes on movie distribution revealed, he knows his media, and understands the value of small markets in growing Objectivish communities of thought.

I'm breathlessly waiting for my subscriptions to start up.

You may already be reading Quebecor publications! It is a major player in the Florida printing world and has at least 6 small town papers on its roster, while being one of the largest printers of 'shopper news' and assorted newpaper advertizing inserts -- with a huge production facility in Lakeland, not too far down the road from you . . .

Although they are very close-lipped on their acquisitions strategies, I have little doubt that Sun Media would like to own Florida's leading French newspaper Le Soleil de la Floride. Imagine three million Florida resident francophones reading Phil Coates in translation!

Edited by william.scherk

> You may already be reading Quebecor publications! It is a major player in the Florida printing world and has at least 6 small town papers on its roster

It's interesting to know how big something none of us has ever heard of is.

I wish to second Jeff Riggenbach's point.

Conservatives are not libertarians and they certainly aren't individualists.

From what I know about Fox, Rupert F**kface Murdoch is a corporatist rather than a free-marketer.

Yes, the right occasionally steal libertarian rhetoric. The left occasionally steal libertarian rhetoric too, but that's rarely mentioned by people that wish to associate libertarians with sexophobic misanthropic Jesus-fascists.