2605050qo40yq1we3.jpg

333883p8hgzlh0im.gif

2626959jb5mcytac4.gif

576138uj5ktwqeg3.jpg

2026230or7algtnb4.gif

You deserve a very happy birthday!

Schweet, thanks, Adam!

He's younger than I am, so screw it!*

Carol, people who are not getting older are dead and you aren't. The guy with the barbell, BTW, tried lifting weights without a spotter. He is dead.

--Brant

which way to the egress?

*Happy Birthday!

Carol, people who are not getting older are dead and you aren't. The guy with the barbell, BTW, tried lifting weights without a spotter. He is dead.

--Brant

which way to the egress?

*Happy Birthday!

What, you mean the Internet doesn't give immortality? Hell and damnation, where did I file Mephistoheles's number?;;;

Carol

106 is as far as I go

--Brant

which way to the egress?

*Happy Birthday!

What, you mean the Internet doesn't give immortality? Hell and damnation, where did I file Mephistoheles's number?;;;

Carol

106 is as far as I go

Did you guys know that I volunteer with the demented elderly at a local care home? This brings me cheerfully to face the yawning gulf.

In other news, the news that I am descended from farmers of the Fertile Crescent has had quite an effect on me on this my own Holiday Birth day, as you can imagine. I found the sauciest version of the news from the Daily Mail in the UK, though you may also find the originating study in PloS Biology.†

Most Britons[**] are direct descendants of farmers who left modern day Iraq and Syria 10,000 years ago, a new study has shown.

After studying the DNA of more than 2,000 men, researchers say they have compelling evidence that four out of five white Europeans can trace their roots to the Near East.

The discovery is shedding light on one of the most important periods of human history - the time when our ancient ancestors abandoned hunting and began to domesticate animals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1kOZ7MQFF

I bet Ayn Rand would have had a lot to say about this most important period of human history!

** I am a nicely mutted European-derived Canuckistani, from the four quadrants Norway, Norway, England, Germany -- with admixtures from Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, France. In my mind's eye now, pictures of Grandma-Great Enwright with her snapping black eyes in command. My Near Eastern side.

† "The transition from a hunter–gatherer existence to a sedentary farming-based lifestyle has had key consequences for human groups around the world and has profoundly shaped human societies. Originating in the Near East around 11,000 y ago, an agricultural lifestyle subsequently spread across Europe during the New Stone Age (Neolithic). Whether it was mediated by incoming farmers or driven by the transmission of innovative ideas and techniques remains a subject of continuing debate in archaeology, anthropology, and human population genetics. Ancient DNA from the earliest farmers can provide a direct view of the genetic diversity of these populations in the earliest Neolithic. Here, we compare Neolithic haplogroups and their diversity to a large database of extant European and Eurasian populations. We identified Neolithic haplotypes that left clear traces in modern populations, and the data suggest a route for the migrating farmers that extends from the Near East and Anatolia into Central Europe. When compared to indigenous hunter–gatherer populations, the unique and characteristic genetic signature of the early farmers suggests a significant demographic input from the Near East during the onset of farming in Europe."

Did you guys know that I volunteer with the demented elderly at a local care home? This brings me cheerfully to face the yawning gulf.

In other news, the news that I am descended from farmers of the Fertile Crescent has had quite an effect on me on this my own Holiday Birth day, as you can imagine. I found the sauciest version of the news from the Daily Mail in the UK, though you may also find the originating study in Plos Biology.

Most Britons[**] are direct descendants of farmers who left modern day Iraq and Syria 10,000 years ago, a new study has shown.

After studying the DNA of more than 2,000 men, researchers say they have compelling evidence that four out of five white Europeans can trace their roots to the Near East.

The discovery is shedding light on one of the most important periods of human history - the time when our ancient ancestors abandoned hunting and began to domesticate animals.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1kOZ7MQFF

I bet Ayn Rand would have had a lot to say about this most important perioud of human history!

** I am a nicely mutted European-derived Canuckistani, from the four quadrants Norway, Norway, England, Germany -- with admixtures from Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, France. In my mind's eye now, pictures of Grandma-Great Enwright with her black eyes commanding the family. My Near Eastern side.

How stunningly serendipitous, O part-Syrian Sage.

The yawning gulf does become more of a circular bridge, as you spend time with the eldest of the eld. My closest cousin recently retired, at 60, as administrator of a nursing home. I say retired but since then when not globetrotting she has spent as much, if not more time there, visiting or relief nursing, than before. She was always fascinated by geriatrics and simply enjoyed the company of those approaching the end of life, found the process of death as natural and even more interesting than the process of birth.

My mother also enjoyed the company of the old, even in her 30s she had friends who were 70+ not to count the relatives. I spent most Sundays with her visiting the homes or the Home, awed at her patience in roaring a translation between her two deafest aunts.