We'll be back soon

We'll be back soon

Kat and I are traveling for a couple of days to get Tina at college, so we will probably be offline.

We should be back Tuesday night or Wednesday at the latest.

Be good...

:smile:

Michael

Safe journey

בעל חוצפה

Ba'al Chatzaf

The Cat's Away The Mice Will Play

jcon2811l.jpg

We got back tonight. It's great having Tina home again.

So I'm back, sort of.

I just found out I have to go to court early tomorrow for standby jury duty. Hopefully I won't be picked.

Hell and damnation.

That's all I need right now.

Michael

Michael:

Just talk about the concept of jury nullification as much as possible and you will never be called!

Adam

So I'm back, sort of.

I just found out I have to go to court early tomorrow for standby jury duty. Hopefully I won't be picked.

Hell and damnation.

Michael

Michael:

Just talk about the concept of jury nullification as much as possible and you will never be called!

Adam

You mean you'll be called but not used.

--Brant

try ignoring the letter saying you are summoned--it worked for me, once

So I'm back, sort of.

Hell and damnation.

Michael

Michael:

Adam

You mean you'll be called but not used.

--Brant

try ignoring the letter saying you are summoned--it worked for me, once

Yes, that is what I meant Brant.

He will go on a list which is like the Group W bench in Alice's Restaurant...

Well, I went and, thankfully, I was not used. So I will not be tied up for God knows how long sitting on a jury in a criminal trial.

Actually, nobody was used of the 100 or so people who were summonsed.

I feel totally weird about what happened.

The courthouse was in a part of town I am not used to going to, but I found it easily. I not only got there punctually, I had lots of time to spare. Parking was free (in Chicago!). There were very clear instructions on what to do each step of the way, with helpful people on hand who were polite and objectively informative, so I was able to do everything flawlessly the first time. I even went through the metal detector without a hitch. To my delight, the courthouse cafeteria served better than average food and my lunch was quite good.

The court representative for jury orientation was so cheerful and full of good vibes, he brought a smile to my face. I learned a couple of things I didn't know about how juries work from the orientation film, which, to my surprise, was not boring.

We were supposed to be there on call until 4:30 PM, but at 2:00 PM the court representative came out and said we were no longer needed, thank you very much, and we would not be eligible to be summonsed for another year. Then his staff gave us each a check for 17 smackaroonies (and 20 cents).

So there it is. No accidents. No unforeseen people showing up and making a mess. No run-in with the cops. I didn't screw anything up. We got off early. It all went fine.

And it was a beautiful day.

(scratching head...)

Something ain't right...

I'm not used to this...

:smile:

Michael

I was called twice and put on a jury once. It was instructional and not dull.(A welfare fraud case). I am just so lucky it was not a dreadful murder like Tori Stafford or Safia case. I do not believe I couldve stood it.

Life is an Open-Book Test ... Unless You are a Juror

I've heard it said that "Life is an open-book test," and I believe that this has become even more true as the Internet, Google, smartphones and other fundamental features of the digital age have become ubiquitous. In the year 2012, when you want to understand something, or define something, or test something, or check someone's background, you typically have instant access to the tools you'd need to do so. If you are truly interested, you will take the 10 seconds needed to get an answer or to learn how you can get an answer... unless you are serving on a jury.

If you are serving on a jury, however, the normal rules of life in the 21st century no longer apply, and you must get each and every scrap of information needed to do your job directly from the proceedings in the courtroom so that your ultimate verdict is determined solely by the evidence. Need to look up what a key word means? Too bad -- -put that cell phone down!!

http://legalblogwatc...re-a-juror.html