Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and the party of Ayn Rand

Backlighting

Brent J. Budowsky (born February 19, 1952)[1] is an American political opinion writer and blogger for publications including The Hill, the LA Progressive,[2] and The Huffington Post.

Career

From the mid-1970s to 1990 Brent Budowsky served in senior congressional staff positions including legislative assistant to former Senator Lloyd Bentsen;[3] extensively involved with the Intelligence Identities Protection Act and Intelligence Officers Death Benefits Act, and legislative director to Representative Bill Alexander, then the Chief Deputy Majority Whip.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://smirkingchimp.com/author/brent_budowsky

Brent Budowsky's blog

picture-1252.jpg

Brent Budowsky

Article Tools

Print

Comments (0)

Harry Reid | Mitt Romney | Taxes

Harry 'Give 'em hell' Reid scores big on Romney's secret tax returns

by Brent Budowsky | August 6, 2012 - 8:37am | permalink

What is Mitt Romney hiding? What is he so afraid of? Why doesn't he release years of his tax returns, as his father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, a very good man, did?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) brought this issue back to center stage. I am not going to speculate about how many years, if any, Romney paid no taxes. But Romney's response to Reid is that Reid should put up or shut up.

Huh? It is Romney who needs to put up, by releasing the returns. I would virtually guarantee that in the hidden tax returns there are some things that most Americans would deeply resent. Why else is Romney hiding them? Many Republicans agree! Many Independents agree!

» article continues...

===============================

Now we can e-mail this jerk!

Wisconsin will flip it's ten (10) electoral votes into the Republican column.

This was going to happen even before Ryan's selection.

Ryan took his district by 65-68% two (2) years ago swimming against the O'bama tide that carried his Congressional district and the State.

This is a big switch. Ryan also puts Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana up for grabs.

He articulates the issues extremely well, and clearly brings into focus the differences between the two campaigns. But other than this initial buzz in August at the end of the Olympics and before the conventions, will the press give him much opportunity to clearly speak? Other than a single debate with Biden, and individual campaign speeches at stops across the nation, the message that he is uniquely able to articulate is broadly and severely filtered. And although the message that is narrow-cast is much more complete, too much of that ends up reverberating in echo-chambers to have broad impact except in those echo chambers; the positive light in some is balanced by the negative light in others, in terms of any impact on the impact-able at this point.

This choice bends a longstanding trend; in the past, for either party, it seems like the last thing in the world they wanted was a clear statement of the political debate. With Ryan's selection, Romney has broken out of that model. It is in some ways a bold gamble as well as a huge leap of faith in the electorate. But in some fundamental way, if that faith is unfounded, then we've been long lost and the outcome of the election was never at issue anyway. So in that sense Romney had nothing to lose in making this choice.

Frediano:

Good observations.

Essentially, this is a turnout election. The wide-eyed 2008 voter "O'bama voter," will not be showing up this year.

Ryan gets that hard core, "I do not trust Mittens" fiscal libertarian, Constitutionalist and conservative voter to the polls. The "enthusiasm" factor is significantly higher amongst Republicans than Democrats this year.

Finally, seventy to eighty percent [70-80%] of the undecideds generally go to the non-incumbent in these type of elections.

So, with Mittens having a 2-3 % lead at this point in time, indicates a potential landslide election this year for Goody Two Shoes and the Randian.

Adam

Wisconsin will flip it's ten (10) electoral votes into the Republican column.This was going to happen even before Ryan's selection.Ryan took his district by 65-68% two (2) years ago swimming against the O'bama tide that carried his Congressional district and the State.This is a big switch. Ryan also puts Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana up for grabs.

How does Florida look? I’d like to vote for Gary Johnson, but if the Republicans don’t have Florida locked up I might have to break my Libertarian voting streak. How about a repeat of 1980? The Libertarians received the most votes they’ve yet gotten, and Reagan beat Carter in a landslide nevertheless.

8/12 LA Times article:

Paul Ryan loved Ayn Rand, before he said he didn't

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-vp-paul-ryan-ayn-rand-20120811,0,1175099.story

Wisconsin will flip it's ten (10) electoral votes into the Republican column.This was going to happen even before Ryan's selection.Ryan took his district by 65-68% two (2) years ago swimming against the O'bama tide that carried his Congressional district and the State.This is a big switch. Ryan also puts Ohio, Pennsylvania and Indiana up for grabs.

How does Florida look? I’d like to vote for Gary Johnson, but if the Republicans don’t have Florida locked up I might have to break my Libertarian voting streak. How about a repeat of 1980? The Libertarians received the most votes they’ve yet gotten, and Reagan beat Carter in a landslide nevertheless.

Dennis:

I am of the opinion that Florida will break to Romney/Ryan. However, since the damn State is the most transient State in the US, I am not sure of who will be the prime voters this year.

I will know a little better in about three weeks when I see some of the internals from two or three of the Congressional districts - Allen West's and the Red Neck Riviera District in the "other Florida." The military vote in the Western Florida section of the State is breaking heavily away from O'bama, areas like Destin and Pensacola are critical for the State breaking the way I think it will.

Adam

I'm starting to feel optimistic, because the Democrats are talking about extremism. They only do that when they're losing.

The tactic seemed to work for Johnson against Goldwater in 1964, though nowadays this looks more like sentimentality over the Kennedy assassination than anything any Republican or Democrat said or did. Ever since then, though, from Brown vs. Reagan in 1966 to the congressional elections in 2010, the formula has been the kiss of death.

I'm starting to feel optimistic, because the Democrats are talking about extremism. They only do that when they're losing.

The tactic seemed to work for Johnson against Goldwater in 1964, though nowadays this looks more like sentimentality over the Kennedy assassination than anything any Republican or Democrat said or did. Ever since then, though, from Brown vs. Reagan in 1966 to the congressional elections in 2010, the formula has been the kiss of death.

Correct. And the voters who are most likely to vote know it.

I carry wounds a long time. I was in college when Lyndon Johnson beat the beejeesus out of Barry Goldwater. I still remember the TV Democratic commercial showing a little girl counting of the petals of a daisy, when a deep male voiceover takes over the last few numbers, followed by an explosion on atomic bomb. It was followed by a voice saying "Vote for President Johnson. The stakes are too important.".

I'm afraid I don't buy the explanation that Johnson won out of sympathy because of the Kennedy assassination. That was rarely brought up, but the Dems and the media went hysterical over the issue of extremism.

Goldwater got creamed, winning only the South and his home state. Pundits were predicting the end of the Republican Party. As is often the case, they were wrong

Rand has a few essays reprinted in her Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal which cover the issues involved in that campaign.

Paul Ryan and more importantly, Mitt, should pick up that volume, and commit it to memory. Mitt will find much more useful advice there than from The Book of Mormon..He may even find it more relevant than L. Ron Hubbard.

Reagan ran an entirely different sort of campaign than Goldwater. There was no in-your-face slogan about "extremism in the defence of liberty..."

Yes, Goldwater got creamed, but let us not forget that he still received some 27 million votes compared with Johnson's 43 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1964

Concerning #11:

[T]he Kennedy assassination...was rarely brought up.

!?!? It was by far the most talked-about topic in the media for at least a year after it happened.

[T]he Dems and the media went hysterical over the issue of extremism.

Yes, but they did this as well on the other occasions I mentioned. Since, in social-science terminology, it doesn't discriminate, we can rule it out (or at least grade it way down) as a cause for the outcome in 1964.

Concerning #11:

[T]he Kennedy assassination...was rarely brought up.

!?!? It was by far the most talked-about topic in the media for at least a year after it happened.

[T]he Dems and the media went hysterical over the issue of extremism.

Yes, but they did this as well on the other occasions I mentioned. Since, in social-science terminology, it doesn't discriminate, we can rule it out (or at least grade it way down) as a cause for the outcome in 1964.

Correct re the media orgy about Kennedy, practically deifying him or at least promoting him to a saint. His Administration was re-christened as "Camelot."

But, I would maintain that 'extremism" was the main weapon used to frighten the electorate. Of course, some libs tried to promote the theory that even though Oswald was a Marxist, it was the right-wing atmosphere in Dallas of hatred that caused the assasination.

I think that Rand's analysis of the issue in that election is right on the mark. They are included in both The Virtue of Selfishness and in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. Re-read them and see what you think.

I am concerned about your deviationism from the party line. You may have unresolved psychoepistemolgical problems, insidious social metaphysics, and unchecked premises.. I am afraid that I am going to have to report this to New York. You are in danger of having your subscription to The Objectivist cancelled!

New Romney commercial Nothing is Free...TANSTAAFL...

I carry wounds a long time. ... Reagan ran an entirely different sort of campaign than Goldwater. There was no in-your-face slogan about "extremism in the defence of liberty..."

That was Karl Hess who wrote that. Two years later, Barry Goldwater told a convention of Young Americans for Freedom that he knew that marijuana was not dangerous because he smoked it when he was young. Now, Pres. Barack Obama's "choom days" serve to defame and define him. I can only suggest that the best analysis comes from adherence to philosophical principles not pop media.

052612-news-oabama-weed-v1-662w-at-1x.jpg

I carry wounds a long time. I was in college when Lyndon Johnson beat the beejeesus out of Barry Goldwater. I still remember the TV Democratic commercial showing a little girl counting of the petals of a daisy, when a deep male voiceover takes over the last few numbers, followed by an explosion on atomic bomb. It was followed by a voice saying "Vote for President Johnson. The stakes are too important.".

I'm afraid I don't buy the explanation that Johnson won out of sympathy because of the Kennedy assassination. That was rarely brought up, but the Dems and the media went hysterical over the issue of extremism.

Goldwater got creamed, winning only the South and his home state. Pundits were predicting the end of the Republican Party. As is often the case, they were wrong

Rand has a few essays reprinted in her Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal which cover the issues involved in that campaign.

Paul Ryan and more importantly, Mitt, should pick up that volume, and commit it to memory. Mitt will find much more useful advice there than from The Book of Mormon..He may even find it more relevant than L. Ron Hubbard.

Reagan ran an entirely different sort of campaign than Goldwater. There was no in-your-face slogan about "extremism in the defence of liberty..."

It wasn't sympathy over the assassination, it was that Johnson was in office less than a year when the next election came round. Not enough time for the voters to know him. When they did he couldn't run in 1968. It's true that Barry could have run a much better campaign, but that wouldn't have made much difference for the reason stated. If Goldwater had run against Kennedy he still would have lost, but it would have been considerably closer and the Dems wouldn't have gained so much in Congress.The Great Society resulted in an acceleration of history and the last four years is doing the same. It's all off the same statist bread and circus and security foundation.

--Brant

IThe Great Society resulted in an acceleration of history and the last four years is doing the same. It's all off the same statist bread and circus and security foundation.

--Brant

About the bread. The non-statistist, taxcutters were all rich men who inherited wealth - I refer to the Bushes, Mitt & Paul (who inherited wealth by the standards of the non-wealthy). They say that the bread is running out, and are finger-wagging that the poor eat too much bread that they did not earn.

Even the now Real Republican symbol Todd "Legit" Akin has worked, studied and lived off the family, and then the government , payroll all his life.