What Will Your Doctor Do After Tuesday?

dennislmay

I heard an interesting tale yesterday. One of the local doctors at the nearest hospital intends to retire if Obama is re-elected.

He has already got things in motion in case it happens. He is going to build upscale homes on local lake properties. I have

seen other local doctors hedging their bets for early retirement - investing in livestock, horses, and wineries. The local

medical devices manufacturer has been the same as out of business for several years - most work moved overseas.

I already knew of one local doctor who quit her practice because of insurance costs plus taxation meant she worked essentially

for free [her husband also a doctor]. One relative in the medical profession was going to set up a practice but instead works

as a consultant for a large corporation.

I have several first cousins in nursing, my son was going to go into nursing but opted instead for the better pay at the job he

already had.

One of my nieces is going into veterinary medicine for large farm animals - there is a storage of big animal vets and it isn't

run by government yet.

"one of 360,000 physicians who plan on "leaving their practice or taking an early retirement" if ObamaCare stands.

That's 45% of working doctors!"

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/11/our_long_obama_nightmare_is_almost_over.html#ixzz2BHPBZJde

Intersting times if Obama is not run out of town. Vets may be the only good medical care available.

Dennis

Kinda looks like a "strike."

However, we know that those greedy capitalistic scum doctors only feed off the poor and sickly...

What did that argument for retroactive abortion opine about when he was running for office...doctors who cut off peoples limbs just to make money!

A despicable creature has inhabited our White House.

It makes me sick to even realize how dysfunctional this great country has become.

A....

They are quite right to retire or change professions when their jobs become non-renumerative.Very few will work in a field where they can barely make a living; only those who can't retrain for another field, or those who find such fulfillment in their work that they can't leave it (starving artists, etc.).

If the medical profession goes on strike (maybe in response to Obamacare), the death rate will go down. You don't believe me? Search: doctors strike death rate

Yeabut. I doubt you did any verifying of your statement. I can believe that the delivery of medical services is crimped (except by law of essential services), with the biggest hit of productivity on non-emergency surgery. Most surgeries carry risk, an actual measured rate of death per 1000 surgeries. People die getting knee or hip replacement. Just going in the hospital contains a heightened risk of infection, small but significant. If fewer surgeries are attempted then the number of surgical deaths declines.

Doctors have struck in such places as Israel and Los Angeles and Finland. What do the records show, Jerry, and what are the conclusions we may draw?

"one of 360,000 physicians who plan on "leaving their practice or taking an early retirement" if ObamaCare stands.

That's 45% of working doctors!"

Read more: http://www.americant...l#ixzz2BHPBZJde

Intersting times if Obama is not run out of town. Vets may be the only good medical care available.

The most memorable doctor's strike in Canadian history was in 1962, on the occasion of socialized medicine being imposed in Saskatchewan. See Wikipedia for a potted history. There was one of those dirty Canadian 'compromises' and the strike failed to overturn the new regime.

I don't doubt that many American doctors feel menaced. Your system seems immensely complicated and restrictive and redundant to Canucki eyes. It is not that you have a 'government' to deal with in healthcare, it is the ramifications of layers of administration and control other-than-state, from HMOs to a horde of insurance carriers, all with a heavy overseer role, hedging and binding the actual working life of a doctor.

Up here in the hellhole, certainly doctors have the nightmare of single-payer administration, but they do not need to deal with an HMO or any of the animals from the swamp of the American system.

I don't doubt that many American doctors feel menaced. Your system seems immensely complicated and restrictive and redundant to Canucki eyes. It is not that you have a 'government' to deal with in healthcare, it is the ramifications of layers of administration and control other-than-state, from HMOs to a horde of insurance carriers, all with a heavy overseer role, hedging and binding the actual working life of a doctor.

What you, and many others, including Americans, fail to realize is that those layers of administration and control do, in large part, originate with the state. The US Department of Health and Human Services has a pretty good summary page here: http://www.hhs.gov/regulations/index.html of several relevant regulations that have been in effect for decades. The FDA also has relevant regulations. In addition, if a healthcare organization is accredited by JCAHO, there are even more regulations. If the organization has an electronic medical record, and wants it certified (in order to avoid being penalized by payors), then there's CCHIT, more regulations. Throw in HIPAA and COBRA.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), is "the final straw" for many healthcare providers who have been struggling under a multitude of government regulations for decades. Anyone who thinks the current system is unhampered by the state is misinformed. The answer is not to pile more government onto it, but to reduce the amount of government already in it.

What you, and many others, including Americans, fail to realize is that those layers of administration and control do, in large part, originate with the state. The US Department of Health and Human Services has a pretty good summary page here: http://www.hhs.gov/r...ions/index.html of several relevant regulations that have been in effect for decades. The FDA also has relevant regulations. In addition, if a healthcare organization is accredited by JCAHO, there are even more regulations. If the organization has an electronic medical record, and wants it certified (in order to avoid being penalized by payors), then there's CCHIT, more regulations. Throw in HIPAA and COBRA.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), is "the final straw" for many healthcare providers who have been struggling under a multitude of government regulations for decades. Anyone who thinks the current system is unhampered by the state is misinformed. The answer is not to pile more government onto it, but to reduce the amount of government already in it.

Welcome to OL Deanna:

I doubt if anyone here as a regular would make the statement that the "current system is unhampered by the state."

Out of curiosity, are you in the health field?

Adam

What you, and many others, including Americans, fail to realize is that those layers of administration and control do, in large part, originate with the state. The US Department of Health and Human Services has a pretty good summary page here: http://www.hhs.gov/r...ions/index.html of several relevant regulations that have been in effect for decades. The FDA also has relevant regulations. In addition, if a healthcare organization is accredited by JCAHO, there are even more regulations. If the organization has an electronic medical record, and wants it certified (in order to avoid being penalized by payors), then there's CCHIT, more regulations. Throw in HIPAA and COBRA.

Welcome to OL Deanna:

I doubt if anyone here as a regular would make the statement that the "current system is unhampered by the state."

Adam

The poster I quoted seemed to think so. Surprisingly there are many who are so inclined, but you're right, they aren't regular posters here. I worked in healthcare for 10 years, but left it 2 years ago. I was a Business Systems Analyst. I've lurked here for so long that I was surprised to be welcomed. I forget that I never post. :-)

Welcome to OL Deanna:

Adam

The poster I quoted seemed to think so. Surprisingly there are many who are so inclined, but you're right, they aren't regular posters here. I worked in healthcare for 10 years, but left it 2 years ago. I was a Business Systems Analyst. I've lurked here for so long that I was surprised to be welcomed. I forget that I never post. :-)

Deanna:

Lol...No problem, I kind of consider myself as one of the official welcome wagon "volunteers."

How did you get acquainted with Ayn's ideas?

Adam

What you, and many others, including Americans, fail to realize is that those layers of administration and control do, in large part, originate with the state.

It is a point worth noting, Deanna, that the pay-and-procedure controls on medical practice in the USA is all (or mostly) mandated by an arm of government. What I meant to point out is the sheer mass of it, and its complication in comparison to north of the border.

If you do not know the Canadian provincial systems, you may not know what a difference I mean. Although 'single payer' is too simplistic to describe the entire coast to coast framework of pay-and-procedure, you can well imagine if there was for the vast majority of your patients no direct cost accrued aside from premiums. They paid (their premiums) and now they are 'in' the single system. The accounting does not become Byzantium. There are no special separate levels of hell for the poor (Medicaid) or old (Medicare) or broken (the nutters/disabled). None of these extra administrative hobbles on American practice are in play. No HMOs dickering. Fewer middlemen.

Long time lurkers are always welcome to jump in the waters! You live in a beautiful, cultured part of the world (and with your Acadian admixture, a bit of Canadien in your pot). I hope we hear more from you. As Michael says, Hear hear.

William,

Sadly, I can't claim to have any "Canadien in [my] pot." I am a hillbilly from the TN Appalacians originally, and transplanted myself to this beautiful, cultured part of the world.

Thanks for the warm welcome, gentlemen.

Deanna