How will you spend your lottery win?

caroljane

You never thought it would happen, but you still bought the odd ticket, and now you are rich beyond what you even deserve!

I know you will disribute your new wealth rationally. (Me, I would stuff it under the mattress and . pretend I didn't have it)

But this is all about you. Unlimited capital, what would you do with it?

Please omit securing your wives and children and building a cottage for Granny.

Thanks! Await your replies.

. . . and then I would indulge in an orgy of investing it and giving it away. I have read the sad statistics of those who had immense sums drop into their lives like a bomb.

I realize that statistically I am likely to go down the same rabbithole as any other winner of a huge windfall, so I would get the best financial and psychological advice, for my investments and for my mental health.

Edited by william.scherk

We are also cognizant of the disasterous consequences when ordinary people come into more money than they can handle. We have given this much hard thought over the years. We have a list of endowments, family gifts, and investments. The action plan is sizable, scalable. Depending on the size of the award, we have different financial advisors and financial houses chosen. More on this later. (Time to go to work...)

...and building a cottage for Granny.

But I would have built you such a nice cottage.

Hmm.... If I won the lottery, I would visit my bullion dealer. I'd ask to see his most expensive gold coins (I'd just say I'm there to admire them). I'd then ask how much he wanted for them. He'd smirk and say: surely you can't afford them. I'd then pull out a couple thousand dollars and say: don't call me Shirley.

A man must be bigger than his money.

Hmm.... If I won the lottery, I would visit my bullion dealer. I'd ask to see his most expensive gold coins (I'd just say I'm there to admire them). I'd then ask how much he wanted for them. He'd smirk and say: surely you can't afford them. I'd then pull out a couple thousand dollars and say: don't call me Shirley.

lol. You are a welcome addition to our elite community, Kyle. I'm guessing your mother's a Canadian.

I thought for sure that you would remake Atlas.

What needs to be remade is We The Living. If I were to win a mega-lottery, I'd use it to buy up all of the existing copies of We The Living (both the novel and the film) and to fix them by giving them a proper Objectivist happy ending.

J

lol. You are a welcome addition to our elite community, Kyle. I'm guessing your mother's a Canadian.

Cuhnaydeean? Isn't that some kind of bacon? No, my mother certainly is not a meat product.

I would set up the Institute For the Study of Moral Luck, and hope to keep warring factions related to said Moral Luck from forming splinter groups.

Good luck with that. You would dissipate your entire fortune in such an endeavour.

Better stay poor.

Cuhnaydeean? Isn't that some kind of bacon? No, my mother certainly is not a meat product.

And I'm sure your father would say so also. Obviously you were brought up right.

I did not mean to imply that my devastating wit has left Kyle speechless. Why do I keep getting these empty boxes with the new quote function? I just finally learned to use the old one. These modern times is too much for me sometimes.

And I'm sure your father would say so also. Obviously you were brought up right.

And thus it is written, after a merciless onslaught of quips, Kyle was left broken and speechless. No amount of back-peddling (see post 13) would undo the damage wrought by a so cunning and wise opponent. And although Kyle drew first blood, he was helpless in the face of the enormity known as "wit". It is said that, to this day, you can still hear Kyle's frantic typing as he tried, and failed, to develop a sufficient retort. He was never heard from again.

I would take the opportunity to begin a new writing project: a hypothetical reconstruction of the lost works of Aristippus, and perhaps Epicurus too. But first I'd have to spend a few years doing the practical research, like field work, but which would mostly have to be conducted at the dinner table, on the couch, and in the bedroom, I suppose.

What needs to be remade is We The Living.

How about a remake of Casablanca, where Ilsa of course stays behind with Rick, and Major Strasser, following an unexpected coming out of the closet scene at the airport, defects and ends up on the plane with Laszlo (also a closet case)? Happy endings all around! Oooh, but then what about Louis...

renault_vrolijk_jpg.jpg

I would take the opportunity to begin a new writing project: a hypothetical reconstruction of the lost works of Aristippus, and perhaps Epicurus too. But first I'd have to spend a few years doing the practical research, like field work, but which would mostly have to be conducted at the dinner table, on the couch, and in the bedroom, I suppose.

What needs to be remade is We The Living.

How about a remake of Casablanca, where Ilsa of course stays behind with Rick, and Major Strasser, following an unexpected coming out of the closet scene at the airport, defects and ends up on the plane with Laszlo (also a closet case)? Happy endings all around! Oooh, but then what about Louis...

renault_vrolijk_jpg.jpg

And you should improve the the Marseillaise scene too, give that singing more oomph, take advantage of a modern studio, you could really blast the audience out of their seats.

And you should improve the the Marseillaise scene too, give that singing more oomph, take advantage of a modern studio, you could really blast the audience out of their seats.

Following Jonathan, I was only thinking of changing the final scene, and in this case doing it with advanced CGI, so it would look like the original actors doing my unconventional ending. Which, btw, makes me wonder if he's seen the We the Living film, since it does have a different, and arguably happy, ending.

Following Jonathan, I was only thinking of changing the final scene, and in this case doing it with advanced CGI, so it would look like the original actors doing my unconventional ending. Which, btw, makes me wonder if he's seen the We the Living film, since it does have a different, and arguably happy, ending.

It does???? I( only read that it was really good)

I can't be sure if you realize my Marsellaise comment was satiric I was following Jonathan too. I think the singers in that scene did not sound amateurish enough, but who cares. It was such an electric moment.

It just ends with Kira announcing that she's leaving, going abroad. If you hadn't read the book you'd probably assume she makes it.

I can't be sure if you realize my Marsellaise comment was satiric I was following Jonathan too. I think the singers in that scene did not sound amateurish enough, but who cares. It was such an electric moment.

Sarcastic, you? Naaah!

It just ends with Kira announcing that she's leaving, going abroad. If you hadn't read the book you'd probably assume she makes it.

Sarcastic, you? Naaah!

Ohwell, if you build a great big petard I guess you can't complain when it hoists you.

Look it up. The quote from "hoist by your own petard" is perhaps the only real citation. (Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 4).

"There's letters seal'd, and my two schoolfellows,
Whom I will trust as I will adders fang'd—
They bear the mandate, they must sweep my way
And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petard,
an't shall go hard
But I will delve one yard below their mines
And blow them at the moon."

Moreover, a petard is a big fart, referring to the explosion of a mine placed under the city walls during a siege. This all refers to the engineer, placing the mine, being exploded by it, and hoisted to the moon. Much, much later, in American labor songs, the trope is that the worker - miner, railroad navvy, cowboy - is blasted or hoisted or tossed into the sky for a long period of days. When he comes down he finds that he is not paid for his time allegedly "off the job."

Look it up. The quote from "hoist by your own petard" is perhaps the only real citation. (Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 4).
"There's letters seal'd, and my two schoolfellows,
Whom I will trust as I will adders fang'd—
They bear the mandate, they must sweep my way
And marshal me to knavery. Let it work;
For 'tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petard,
an't shall go hard
But I will delve one yard below their mines
And blow them at the moon."

Moreover, a petard is a big fart, referring to the explosion of a mine placed under the city walls during a siege. This all refers to the engineer, placing the mine, being exploded by it, and hoisted to the moon. Much, much later, in American labor songs, the trope is that the worker - miner, railroad navvy, cowboy - is blasted or hoisted or tossed into the sky for a long period of days. When he comes down he finds that he is not paid for his time allegedly "off the job."

Hamlet's wimpiness was not as universal as he thought it was.

Which, btw, makes me wonder if he's seen the We the Living film, since it does have a different, and arguably happy, ending.

I was referring to a true, proper, Objectivist happy ending, not a mere "arguably happy ending." When I fix We The Living, I'm going to have Kira making it all the way to Galt's Gulch, where she will join all of the other heroes of the world in removing their clothing and leaping about with their heads thrown back in sheer joy, as is depicted in so many Objectivist's paintings as representing how life "ought to be."

J