USA Government Snooping and Stealth - The Obama Doctrine

The Prism whistleblower outed himself. He now lives in Hong Kong, albeit in constant paranoia.

We know the USA government will go after him and will most likely end up getting him.

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations
Glenn Greenwald, Ewen MacAskill and Laura Poitras
9 June 2013
The Guardian

From the article:

The individual responsible for one of the most significant leaks in US political history is Edward Snowden, a 29-year-old former technical assistant for the CIA and current employee of the defence contractor Booz Allen Hamilton. Snowden has been working at the National Security Agency for the last four years as an employee of various outside contractors, including Booz Allen and Dell.

The Guardian, after several days of interviews, is revealing his identity at his request. From the moment he decided to disclose numerous top-secret documents to the public, he was determined not to opt for the protection of anonymity.

. . .

In a note accompanying the first set of documents he provided, he wrote: "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions," but "I will be satisfied if the federation of secret law, unequal pardon and irresistible executive powers that rule the world that I love are revealed even for an instant."

I read the full article, as I recommend you to do.

But more fascinating is the video on the page I linked to (sorry, it does not embed.) Snowden is in a 12 minute interview giving his full case. You really have to see this one. So click on the title of the article. It will link you there.

Snowden almost sounds like a libertarian, albeit, I suspect he leans left. Not even "lean" for a guy like that, though. Nod is more like it.

Before I say wonderful and good job and so on, let's see what all comes of this to make sure the story is as he says it is. I have a feeling the media is going to be whirling around this affair for quite some time.

Michael

I will now give the NSA what they are looking for.

destroy..... American...... Asssinate........Blow Up........Terror Act......I.E.D. Statue of Liberty ........Washington Monument.....

To MSK: If you think this is out of line please delete it. Otherwise leave it in so the NSA types can get a boner.

Thanks..

Ba'al Chatzaf

Uh-huh,...I see...So you think the machinations of our benevolent Government are to be.... mocked?

Your insolence has been duly recorded by PRISM, and referred to the THOUGHT POLICE for proper disposition.

However, due to an ever-lengthening backlog of recalcitrants, it may be some time before the disposition of your case by the MINISTRY OF TRUTH will be completed.

BUT, PRISM is recording ALL your statements and further ingratitude on your part toward your Protectors will be appropriately filed and referred to the MINISTRY OF TRUTH.

However, the Authority is always open to receive apologies and public confessions of past criminal expressions of ingratitude, and will be considered at time of your interrogation.

We are watching.....

destroy..... American...... Asssinate........Blow Up........Terror Act......I.E.D. Statue of Liberty ........Washington Monument.....

To MSK: If you think this is out of line please delete it. Otherwise leave it in so the NSA types can get a boner.

Go for it.

Operation 'troll the NSA' starts up online with plan to jam spy scanners by sending same 'terrorist' message over and over again

Michael

Go for it.

Operation 'troll the NSA' starts up online with plan to jam spy scanners by sending same 'terrorist' message over and over again

Michael

Not nearly as clever as they (the proposed jammers) like to think that they are. This strategy may well have unintended consequences besides just confusing the NSA (which any half-proficient NSA computer analyst can neutralize simply by directing NSA computers to ignore those words at the precise time that this so-called "trolling" is to start [the trollers post an exact time for this jamming to be started).

There are other unintended consequences: it may confuse NSA listening in to the very messages that they are actually supposed to do, not the ridicoulosly-wide eavesdropping that PRISM is alleged to be doing. While I think PRISM, as presented, is a bad and likely illegal procedure, I do not think that it is a wise idea to intentionally jam their computers for the legitimate listening (Al Qaeda-type "chatter," etc.) that NSA is doing.

The idea of this proposed jamming strikes me as about as intelligent as the Iraqi's (choose the war), attempting to jam American or Israeli radar. All this got them was was radar-directed missiles following their signals in - and destroying their radar stations.

And if Edward Snowden ends up in the "protective custordy" of the Chinese Red Army - or being offered asylum by Russia (as they have already indicated that they would consider), this incident could result in many more unforessen consequences. And they will not be pleasant.

And if Edward Snowden ends up in the "protective custordy" of the Chinese Red Army - or being offered asylum by Russia (as they have already indicated that they would consider), this incident could result in many more unforessen consequences. And they will not be pleasant.

What do you propose that we should do?

The NSA is probably not anxiously waiting for my suggestions (although considering who they apparently entrusted some of their secrets to,...) But I assume that they (the Feds) have seen all the documents that Snowden gave to the Washington Post and The Guardian. I have read that the Post chose only to reveal four out of 11 pages, because even they realized that the rest contained too sensitive material. I'm sure that they have had some nice little chats with Snowden's (now former) employer, Booz, Allen and Hamilton - who must have nightmares of all their highly lucrative contracts with the NSA and other federal agencies, now going up in smoke.

So, one question is how much highly sensitive data did Snowden have access to? How much was Top Secret? Did he steal other documents for use as bargaining chips with the Feds, or with interested foreign countries?.How many others have access to ths data?

When asked why they allowed a contractor to have access to such information, the explanation given was...(hold your breath)... the NSA could not attract highly qualified personnel with their measly GS fedelal salaries...sooo, they contract out to " beltway bandit" consultant companies who offer much higher salaries to attract the top people....... This is government logic at its best! ( By the way, watch the MSM use this to criticize the use of private contractors by the federal government as an example of what happens when "private enterprise" rather than government bureaucrats, run things. When, in fact, it is typical of they very processes that libertarians/conservatives have criticized as "crony capitalism)."

And then, there is the question of exactly what type of candidates do they recruit to work for them and to ultimately entrust the nation's secrets? Let's see: Edward Snowden did not graduate from highschool, has some credits in "something" from a local community college...worked first for the NSA as a "Security Guard" before being promoted to handling Top Secret data, and then gets assigned to the privilege of working for Booz, Allen and Hamilton.... in Hawaiii,...for $200,000 a year. Wow. That's a really impressive hiring procedure. Almost as impressive as the U.S. Army turning over access to equally highly qualified candidates...like a PFC (as in Bradley Manning)!!!

Ayn Rand has been accused of inaccurately portraying government bureaucrats as incompetant boobs, in Atlas Shrugged. It may well be that she gave them too much credit for their (in)competancy!

And then, there's this....

Orwell's "1984" is suddenly rapidly climbing Amazon's "Movers and Shakers List"

1. Perhaps Amazon readers are onto something? And wll sales of Anthem also jump...?

http://www.today.com/news/sales-orwells-1984-over-6-000-percent-after-nsa-news-6C10282307#news/nsa-surveillance-news-spiking-sales-orwells-1984-6C10282307

Since the spokesmen for ARI/ARC and TAS are curiously silent about all this, see this from Neil Cavuto, today:

(I've posted this elsewhere, but goddamit, it bears repeating!

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/your-world-cavuto/index.html

I am still surprised at the "shock" that some folks are displaying over this latest revelation of unconstitutional spying on Americans by the ever more repressive centralized government.

Has everyone forgotten this baby that has been active since 1947, Project Echelon?

Big Brother is Watching An Illustrated Guide to Government Surveillance Programs

By Tom Head, About.com Guide

If you think the government is watching your every move, that's crazy--but if you think the government is too good or too honest to try it, that's naive. Whether in the name of fighting crime, communism, terrorism, anarchy, military enemies, or just in the name of patriotism, our government has watched us before and will watch us again. As technology improves, privacy as we know it will inevitably evaporate; the best we can hope for is the power to watch the watchers.
Images 1-7 of 7
policesearch.jpgGovernment Surveillance and the Fourth Amendment surveillancecamera.jpgDoes the Right to Privacy Protect Us from Government Surveillance? echelon.jpgProject Echelon (1947-present) jedgarhoover.jpgCOINTELPRO (1956-1971) nsaprotest.jpgThe "Spygate" NSA Surveillance Program (2001-present) tiaweb.jpgTotal Information Awareness (2002-2003) orrinhatch.jpg

In a sleepy suburb on the outskirts of Las Vegas, Margaret Newsham is attempting to lead a normal life away from the days where she worked at a giant listening station at RAF base Menwith Hill in Yorkshire, England. Despite this, she is unable to escape her past.

She sleeps with a loaded gun under her bed and is protected by her 120-pound German shepherd, who is trained to guard and attack. At any time, certain factions in the NSA and the CIA may attempt to silence her for her role in the most extensive espionage network on earth, capable of tapping into millions of phone calls an hour: project ECHELON.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/conversations-intercepted-truth-project-echelon/8773

echelon-header.gif

spacer.gif

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Echelon

Q - What is Project ECHELON?

ECHELON is the term popularly used for an automated global interception and relay system operated by the intelligence agencies in five nations: the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand (it is believed that ECHELON is the code name for the portion of the system that intercepts satellite-based communications). While the United States National Security Agency (NSA) takes the lead, ECHELON works in conjunction with other intelligence agencies, including the Australian Defence Signals Directorate (DSD). It is believed that ECHELON also works with Britain's Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) and the agencies of other allies of the United States, pursuant to various treaties. (1)

These countries coordinate their activities pursuant to the UKUSA agreement, which dates back to 1947. The original ECHELON dates back to 1971. However, its capabilities and priorities have expanded greatly since its formation. According to reports, it is capable of intercepting and processing many types of transmissions, throughout the globe. In fact, it has been suggested that ECHELON may intercept as many as 3 billion communications everyday, including phone calls, e-mail messages, Internet downloads, satellite transmissions, and so on. (2) The ECHELON system gathers all of these transmissions indiscriminately, then distills the information that is most heavily desired through artificial intelligence programs. Some sources have claimed that ECHELON sifts through an estimated 90 percent of all traffic that flows through the Internet. (3)

However, the exact capabilities and goals of ECHELON remain unclear. For example, it is unknown whether ECHELON actually targets domestic communications. Also, it is apparently very difficult for ECHELON to intercept certain types of transmissions, particularly fiber communications.

This article dates Project Echelon to 1971 and has an apparently well sourced information.

http://www.nsawatch.org/echelonfaq.html

But according to the defenders of PRISM, it's okay because

:

1) It was examined in Congressional committees (You mean like they examined Obamacare provisions?)

2) There are "safeguards" in place (Unspecified what that means!)

3) It's to prevent terrorist attacks in America (But was unable to prevent the Boston and New York terrorist attacks)

4) The polls show the majority support PRISM,- and that makes it okay! (As long as you throw out the Fourth Amendment! Who cares about that?!)

5) Even though PRISM will be collecting virtually ALL internet traffic, as well as all phone calls,

we wouldn't allow any mis-use of that data. (Not very comforting. What about future Administrations?)

6) We're from the government and we're here to help! (Even if we don't want that help!)

The main body of the Constitution has become a dead rotting corpse, trash and rotting garbage. Congress can do pretty well what it wants and is constrained only by political considerations. The Bill of Rights, will in due course follow the rest of the Constitution to the landfill.

Ba'al Chatzaf

More on the Echelon program:

Many Americans have been astonished in the past week to learn of the government’s extraordinary ability to invade their privacy, but a caller told “The Savage Nation” radio show of his contract work for a global National Security Agency system during the administration of President George H.W. Bush more than 20 years ago that spied on citizens.

“John” in San Francisco told host Michael Savage he worked for one of the largest intelligence contractors in the world on a massive program known as Echelon that intercepted private and commercial communications.

To “get around the Constitution and laws,” he said, “they based the program out of another country, England.”

“They routed it back to the NSA building, which was 14 stories below the ground,” said John.

In his conversation with Savage, John didn’t name the contractor but revealed the company was based in Sunnyvale, Calif., which is the headquarters of Lockheed Martin Space Systems Co.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/echelon-contractor-feds-spying-on-citizens-for-decades/

Possibly correct on Echelon, but all that indicates (it's enough!) is that certain branches of the federal government have been into snooping on their own citzens, while claiming to be merely collecting information on out terrorist enemies.

It also appears that one hand (or tentacle) of the feds does not know what the others are doing, even among the so-called intelligence agencies, hence, they totally fumbled with the Boston terrorists and many people died or wete maimed.

However, accepting reportage from Joseph Farah and his World Net Daily is risky. Like many ideologists, Farah is promoting his own and that affects his news reporting..(This is assuming that you can get by his irritatingly intrusive advertisers, who attack the viewer like flies.).Farah is more than just a christian conservative and he is certainly not a libertarian or fan of Ayn Rand (although occasionally some libertarian opinions sneak through).. Farah sounds like a Dominion christian of the Russhdoony or Gary North type. He advocates for a theocratic society which would include enforcing biblical (as he views it) rules. Needless to say, he wants gays outlawed or at least suppressed.

Possibly, World Net Daily is no worse than what you get from MSNBC, Huffington Post, The Daily Kos, etc. on the Left. But I would not accept his views as "gospel," even though he clearly does..

Jerry:

As you know, I would not accept any "evidence" from sources with agendas.

However, both of us have been around for six plus (6+) decades. I have know folks that have been involved with "black ops" and the "black budget" and the underlying elements of this story do not surprise me.

I heard the phone call on Savage's program and it rang true at a number of levels.

Do you remember in the mid to late 60's when more than 100,000 pieces of mail were opened in Queens county, New York?

The mail was copied and re-sealed, sent on it's way and any information was routed to the respective jurisdictions for follow up investigations.

The state is ever hungry and needs to be fed.

I put nothing past them.

A...

Post Script:

The agendas of these websites are separate issues and one needs to be aware of them. I also agree with your feelings on the annoying pop-ups on the website. However, they do find some interesting facts.

Adam, I will echo Jerry and caution you against World Net, they are in fact worse than Huffpost etc. They have no journalistic standards or credibility. They were the chief purveyors, and probably the source, of the "Cairo crucifixion" hoax.

Not disagreeing.

Re Farrah, I referred to him as possibly a believer in Dominion theology. That's a name that some christian fundamentalists use, but I think the correct name is Christian Reconstructionist for those following Rushdoony or North. Not that important, but Farrah (especially Farrah), not unlike the Birchers, often takes the correct facts and then filters through their ideology.

Of course, none of us Objectivists/Neo-Objectivists, Recovering Objectivists or libertarians of whatever stripe, ever do that..... :wacko::blush:

Possibly some of their info is correct, but I would look for further validation from non-WND sources, before buying into it.

Jerry/Carol:

Thanks. Not my style.

I evaluate these pieces of evidence carefully and do not swallow the bait.

A...