I'll tell you this....

KacyRay

You have no idea how nice the world we live in is, until you have to go away from it for awhile.

Man, it's good to be back. I'll be talking to you guys again soon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many enemy combatants did the ship kill?

Probably not enough.

Questionable return on a multi-billion-dollar taxpayer investment.

Less questionable than at least 100 other examples that quickly come to mind.

RB:

A MEU ARG is a crisis response force, trained to respond to a variety of specific contingencies. To assume that there was no return on that investment because there were not enough crises that needed responding to is like saying you wasted money on your insurance policy because you didn't crash your car frequently enough.

But I knew you were going to insinuate that the lack of actionable crises we faced out there somehow lessens the legitimacy of what the MEU ARG does in general, and what I do in particular.

That's the motive I knew was behind the question.

Not that I need to convince you of the value of having a MEU ARG our there, but you'd be surprised at the influence on world politics that our very presence has. People tend to behave differently when the cops are on the sidewalk in front of heir house.

RB:

A MEU ARG is a crisis response force, trained to respond to a variety of specific contingencies. To assume that there was no return on that investment because there were not enough crises that needed responding to is like saying you wasted money on your insurance policy because you didn't crash your car frequently enough.

But I knew you were going to insinuate that the lack of actionable crises we faced out there somehow lessens the legitimacy of what the MEU ARG does in general, and what I do in particular.

That's the motive I knew was behind the question.

Not that I need to convince you of the value of having a MEU ARG our there, but you'd be surprised at the influence on world politics that our very presence has. People tend to behave differently when the cops are on the sidewalk in front of heir house.

Kacy,

The United States should be World Police now? Not a very libertarian position. Strange to hear you, of all people, using it as a justification of massive taxpayer expenditures.

Your explanation is precisely what somebody who is rationalizing his income would say when confronted with a values contradiction. That fact alone should get you asking some hard questions.

Your most frustrating quality, to those who know you and value intellectual honesty, is that you are never willing to consider those hard questions. To hear you tell it, you're always doing exactly what you're supposed to be. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing anyone is that lucky or good.

That is quite an adventure you and the ship's company had.

Home again, home again jigiddy jog. Safe and sound. That is good.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Home Is the Sailor

Home is the sailor, home from sea:

Her far-borne canvas furled

The ship pours shining on the quay

The plunder of the world.

Home is the hunter from the hill:

Fast in the boundless snare

All flesh lies taken at his will

And every fowl of air.

'Tis evening on the moorland free,

The starlit wave is still:

Home is the sailor from the sea,

The hunter from the hill.

A.E. Housman

"Welcome to the homeland."

The United States is not any God-damned "homeland!" The "homeland" is a Bush statist verbal monstrosity visited upon us by that stupid response to 9/11 which has destroyed American freedoms and traduced what it used to feel like to be an American. "Land of the free," my ass!

--Brant

LEST WE FORGET!

VietnamVeteransMemorial_52734839_244x183

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57611631/almanac-vietnam-veterans-memorial/

VietnamVeteransMemorial_Dedication_Memor

The dedication ceremony for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, in Washington, D.C., November 10, 1982. (Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Fund)

(CBS News) And now a page from our "Sunday Morning" Almanac: November 10th, 1982, 31 years ago today . . . the day the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington was opened to the public.

Intended as a non-political tribute to those who died fighting a highly controversial war, the Memorial was initially caught up in controversy itself.

Out of more than a thousand submissions, an independent panel chose a design by an unknown 21-year-old architecture student named Maya Lin.