Plot

Danneskjold

The word "plot" bugs me. A lot. It's so bad because "plot" isn't even concise. Its just boring and sloppy. You say it and it drops like a rock into a puddle making another completely inadequate "plop" sound, which ironically sounds a lot like the word "plot", although "plop" is something that a "plot" should never do. So, as you "plod" along, reading a book with a "plot" that goes "plop", you realize that as you "plod" though a "plot" that to "plod" is yet another thing that a "plot" should never do. Yet they sound so alike. You see, "plod" and "plop" fits the concept that they represent. "Plot" doesn't fit the concept at all. The word should be more like manifest, very important sounding.

The word just doesn't fit it.

The word "plot" bugs me. A lot. It's so bad because "plot" isn't even concise. Its just boring and sloppy. You say it and it drops like a rock into a puddle making another completely inadequate "plop" sound, which ironically sounds a lot like the word "plot", although "plop" is something that a "plot" should never do. So, as you "plod" along, reading a book with a "plot" that goes "plop", you realize that as you "plod" though a "plot" that to "plod" is yet another thing that a "plot" should never do. Yet they sound so alike. You see, "plod" and "plop" fits the concept that they represent. "Plot" doesn't fit the concept at all. The word should be more like manifest, very important sounding.

The word just doesn't fit it.

I agree. And for the concept "manifest" we can have the word plot! :turned:

Not around me. Ah ki' ya!

You should've just started a general thread where we can all say words that get on our nerves. Now I'm thinkin'...

I often think about words that I can't stand the sound of. There are two categories: 1) Words that just sound awful; 2) Words whose meanings are awful. I'll have to start my list...

Great thing about the word manifest. Break it into syllables.

Man-I-fest.

It's like Objectivism in a word. It's got man (the highest being) I (the person that someone is trying to please [not I as in me writing this, I as in the person saying who they are trying to please]) and fest (first four letters to festival, which are very enjoyable).

OK, if we're ranting about words we dislike, how about words that have two opposite meanings:

"Cleave" - to adhere closely, stick, cling

"Cleave" - to split or divide by or as by a cutting blow

"Sanction" is kinda like that; a sanction can be a stamp of approval, or a punishment imposed on a rogue state.

Festivals are enjoyable to whom? I rather dislike them.

Doesn't matter to whom. They are enjoyable to someone, therefore they are enjoyable. Keep nitpicking, makes everyone like you better.

Oh, you're right, Jeff. I'll be sure to shape up! That's what I'm so concerned about.

No, they're just enjoyable to someone. That doesn't make them straight up enjoyable.

Whether or not it is enjoyable to you, it is enjoyable.

en·joy·a·ble Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[en-joi-uh-buhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective giving or capable of giving joy or pleasure: a very enjoyable film.

(From Dictionary.com)

Okay, and the dictionary is the final arbiter of everything? Somebody just like you or I had to write the dictionary at some point. Now tell me, what does your dad consider to be the meaning of the word enjoyable?

*cough*douche*cough*

P.S. FEST is also the ending of the word 'infest'

Edited by Kori

I always confuse the endings -able and -ible. Are there any useful tips to remember?

The adjective suffixes -able and -ible mean 'capable of', 'fit for,' or 'worthy of'

2. joyous; merry: a festive mood.
Edited by Jeff Kremer

First is the definition of the suffix "able". Second one I lost concentration and gave a definition of festive. Here's the definition of "enjoy"

en·joy [en-joi] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object)

1. to experience with joy; take pleasure in: He enjoys Chinese food.

2. to have and use with satisfaction; have the benefit of: He enjoys an excellent income from his trust funds.

3. to find or experience pleasure for (oneself): She seems to enjoy herself at everything she does.

I always confuse the endings -able and -ible. Are there any useful tips to remember?

Not to my knowledge. On a grad school entrance essay I once used "irresistable", which is a legitimate, although less preferred, spelling of "irresistible". I still remember and wince over that one 25 years later. When in doubt, look it up.

Judith

What about a ship's manifest?