Goodbye

I may (will) be back next year for more conversation. Right now Mom is dying, in slow motion. She's tough but demented. She insists on living every minute of her life--a life I've saved several times but I've run out of tricks. I just hope she makes it to her 96th on the 25th. All those brains reduced to simple humanity. A PhD in English literature, she once took 24 semester hours and aced every course. It's hard for me to bear. Everyone else I've loved who has died has died in the hospital, except my sister Patricia. Mom will die at home, I swear. She may die tonight. I don't think she will, but it's time to put her to bed. Ruth Brant (Gaede) Davis. That's where I got my name. I never believed that it came from getting it from her father, Irving Brant. She named me after her. She even started a school for me, the Tucson Community School, for pre-schoolers, still going strong. It was for socialization, but I needed brainization. No matter, I did that on my own.

Thank you for this wonderful forum, Michael.

--Brant

out of space; out of time

Edited by Brant Gaede

I may (will) be back next year for more conversation. Right now Mom is dying, in slow motion. She's tough but demented. She insists on living every minute of her life--a life I've saved several times but I've run out of tricks. I just hope she makes it to her 96th on the 25th. All those brains reduced to simple humanity. A PhD in English literature, she once took 24 semester hours and aced every course. It's hard for me to bear. Everyone else I've loved who has died has died in the hospital, except my sister Patricia. Mom will die at home, I swear. She may die tonight. I don't think she will, but it's time to put her to bed. Ruth Brant (Gaede) Davis. That's where I got my name. I never believed that it came from getting it from her father, Irving Brant. She named me after her. She even started a school for me, the Tucson Community School, for pre-schoolers, still going strong. It was for socialization, but I needed brainization. No matter, I did that on my own.

Thank you for this wonderful forum, Michael.

--Brant

Brant -

Best wishes. You will be missed. Keep us posted.

Bill P

You have my respect, Brant, for insisting that your mom die at home -- and for insisting on caring for her yourself.

Hope to see you posting again soon. Take care of yourself too.

Brant:

I feel what you are going through and what you know you will be facing.

My dad died at home, two (2) weeks shy of ninety (90). He passed in his own home, surrounded by his family, neighbors and friends, peacefully.

Have courage. All our thoughts are with you and your mom.

Adam

I grieve with you. I lost my Mom to bone cancer back in 1981. It is a rough ride and nothing can make it smooth.

One great sorrow is that we are all cursed with Memory. We remember our dying parents as they were, as much as they are.

There is no cure for the sorrow.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Brant,

Having watched my mother slowly succumb to Alzheimer's, I have some idea of what you are now going through.

My thoughts are with you in this very difficult time.

-Jerry

Brant,

I can imagine what you must be going through. I lost my mom to cancer in 2007, and the months leading up to her death were far more difficult than anything I have ever experienced.

I don't really think there are any words that would make this ordeal any easier for you. All I can say is: this too shall pass.

Looking forward to your return. You will be missed.

Dennis

Brant,

My heart goes out to you. I look forward to your return and wish you the best.

~ Shane

Thank you, everyone, for your kind wishes. Things aren't quite as bad as I made them sound, but they will eventually get worse, I'm afraid. It's all a matter of what I have time for, that's all. I'll be looking here every day but I don't intend to do much reading or any posting the rest of this year.

--Brant

"goodbye" wasn't the best word for the title of this thread

Even though you won't be able to be around as much as your normal (omnipresent) killingly one-liner self usually is, I'd imagine that once in awhile it will be a safe haven to go and blow off a little steam, see what's doin'. And we will be there, sickly enough. :) We all have those moments . . . It always reminds me of this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8uQRL47thc

rde

You've Always Been the Brant

Brant - You too have my sympathies and my thoughts are with you. I lost my youngest brother and my sister in '08-09 a few months apart and recently two aunts, one from Alzheimer's. The pain is real but on the other side will be memories of what sounds like a wonderful lady.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back albeit on a limited basis. Mom was acting so nutty it was all-time consuming to take care of her. Now it's a lot better because I took her off her sleep medication two nights ago and the nuttiness has evaporated. The medication was lorazepam. I had the same experience with Ambien a while back. I'm posting this as a caution for anyone taking this stuff: make sure you are adequately monitored if not self-monitored. Also, watch out for the trap of adding medication to counter the effects of a medication. (By way of digression, a worthless class of drugs are those that lower blood cholesterol. They do that but they do not improve chances of avoiding any cardiovascular incident more than one percent, if that, in spite of all the phony studies pushed off on doctors by the drug companies. Most vaccines are even worse, especially for babies and children. It's de facto child abuse to give him or her the vaccine for chickenpox.)

Many elderly in nursing homes take ten different prescription drugs. One doctor evaluated all the patients in one nursing home and eliminated 70% of tthe drugs being taken.

--Brant

That's great you caught it, Brant. Yes, things like Ambien, et al can cause all kinds of strange things--seen it happen up close--sometimes it is like a very advanced version of sleepwalking.

This week is national Alzheimer's Awareness Week. Just got done doing a thing for that today--talk about gritty, compelling stories.

Glad things are better for you!