Broadcastese

caroljane

I wish newsreaders would not say "groshery" and "stow-ry" and "Hee-ro".

Stop it now, you guys.

It will never end. Tedious though it becomes, sometimes it is cute. One of the worst, I think, is "noo-cue-lure" (nuclear). That one always gets me going a bit, especially when you hear it out of a high-level government official--not a confidence-builder! What makes me think you know when to press the Red Button when you can't even pronounce the shit, much less understand how it works and what it does.

rde

I Guess There Is A Little Bit Of Phil In Everyone

I wish newsreaders would not say "groshery" and "stow-ry" and "Hee-ro".

Stop it now, you guys.

It will never end. Tedious though it becomes, sometimes it is cute. One of the worst, I think, is "noo-cue-lure" (nuclear). That one always gets me going a bit, especially when you hear it out of a high-level government official--not a confidence-builder! What makes me think you know when to press the Red Button when you can't even pronounce the shit, much less understand how it works and what it does.

rde

I Guess There Is A Little Bit Of Phil In Everyone

Yes indeed. When he's right, he's right.

"nucular" has driven me mad forever. How hard is it to practice saying "New Clear"?

I meant to stick to pronunciation and not get into grammar but.. surely Objectivists should be actively fighting the destruction of the objective case? nearly all the reporters and most of the people they interview say "between he and I" etc.. aargh.. I don't care whatever anybody says about Obama, at least he speaks English.

Also on the road to extinction, count and noncount qualifiers. As we get more "literate" we find "less" people with "less" words generating "less' ideas with progressively fewer clues about the glorious language they are diminishing.

It's the vocabulary-diminution that hurts the most, though we do continously add words to maintain English as the largest (most vocab)language in the world. Grammar constantly evolves, but the rules should be followed until a particular evoltiion has taken total vernacular hold.

You're right rde, stoe-ry and hee-ro can be cute, especially when uttered by a boyishly or girlishly winsome talking head. I suppose Barbar Walters's

lisp was the top of the slippery slope.

Sometimes it's a comfort to be a fatalist. Is that like Unitarian?

Well, this time it's spelling, and on this very website where I expect better. My own name, which has appeared numerous times. Lynam is not a common name (it's my married surname, but I never legally took it) and even my closest relatives and friends write to me as Lyman, Lynman etc. But really on OL, especially with textual watchdogs like Mr. coates around, I am surprised,